Thursday, April 7, 2011

What do I want to be when I grow up? I'm always thinking about it. What is the next step? What will I be doing in 5 years? 10 years? More recently, though, I have been thinking about how my job will affect my future family. I have my Master's in Education, which is concentrated in Student Affairs Practice in Higher Education. This basically only qualifies me to work as a college/university administrator. Which is what I really enjoy doing, but the schedule is the typical 9-5 M-F.
My first idea was to earn 18credits in graduate level english courses to allow me to teach at the college level. Well guess what? It is freaking hard. I don't know that I can do 5 more classes. So that is in limbo for now.
The next idea came last week when I had an epiphany about future children. Who will take them so soccer practice? Not me because I don't get home from work until around 6! So that led me to the FL DOE website. All I need to do is pass a subject test and then I am hirable at any FL public school. An even better idea is that I can work at a private school and get my kids free tuition because we all know that FL public school are no bueno.
And then there is always the PhD that is always looming - which would lead to more dollars, but also more work and long, or longer hours...but it in the field that I desire.
So what to do? I just don't know!

2 comments:

  1. Lord, I know what you're saying, except I don't have it as "together" as you do!

    I'm staying home right now, but when the last kid is off to kindergarten, I have no idea what I'm going to do. I will have been out of the work force for 5 or 6 years and I am DONE being a teller. I mean, it's like one step up from the bank janitor...I have a degree, so NO THANKS.

    I'm worried it's going to be difficult for me to start my career in the working world back up after staying at home. I didn't spend 6 years in college to stay at the bottom forever. ;) I like your blog entries-they really get me thinking! Oh, and by the way-I have mucho respect for anyone like you who goes back to college after obtaining the magical 4-year degree. I have no desire to go back unless I can be an active Alpha Phi again! {yeah, right}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knows - maybe your future is with ETSY! Otherwise, we could go back to E 10th St and be professional house moms.

    ReplyDelete