Friday, April 15, 2011

Maybe Baby

I found out 2 days that I'm going to be a double aunt. Two of Billy's sisters are pregnant. I found out about the first one in January and when they called me to tell me I was going to be an aunt...I asked who was pregnant because I wan't expecting it from any of them. I found out about the 2nd one on Wednesday evening which was equally as shocking because to my knowledge, she didn't even have a boyfriend. But she did have an ex-boyfriend and now he's back in the picture. It's all very bizarre to me because I always assumed I would be the first one to have a baby since I seemingly have my life in control...education, job, healthcare, home...you know. But truly, none of that matters.

Any woman can have a baby, no matter what their life is like. We were talking about that at work yesterday and not saying this is the case with my SILs...but just a portion of society in general - the entitlement class. Many women who don't have a job or much money receive things like welfare, WIC money for food, discounted childcare and VPK. Then there are the women who are just above the threshold from receiving those benefits, who work their tails off to make ends meet and then fork over half of their paychecks for childcare. My question is what is the motivation for the women who don't work, who are living of government funding, to get off their rears and contribute to their families and society? Are these programs enabling laziness and a sense of entitlement from these programs? I believe the answer is sometimes yes. It's just not fair. Women like me who wait and plan to have children...seem to get the short end of the stick for being responsible. I don't make a lot of money, so when it does come time for my child to potentially enter day care, it will be a lot of my salary that goes toward that expense. It's almost not worth working.

So while I won't have the first baby on B's side of the family, I guess the bonus will be that I can get hand-me-downs!

1 comment:

  1. I'm new to your blog and girl, you hit the nail on the head with this one. I get SOOOO irritated at how the gov't makes it appealing to have children out of wedlock, don't work, don't do anything to these girls. Yet the ones like myself, who tried to do things the "right" way, get crapped on. I have a child yet I still have to pay into the IRS but these lazy people that have 10 kids by 10 different "baby daddys" and not work, get THOUSANDS back from the IRS. When I struggled with infertility, I was very bitter towards unwed mothers but now, I realize that babies are gifts from God and if they are working/going to school/etc. to try to provide a better life for themselves and their child, then kudos to you.

    I'll get on my soapbox if I don't hush, LOL.

    ReplyDelete