Saturday, May 18, 2013

So making your own baby food is really no big deal.  I think if everyone knew how easy it was, more people would do it.  I happen to have the Baby Bullet, but it is not a necessary piece of equipment.  In fact, on Amazon, the Baby Bullet doesn't get great reviews, but it was a gift to me and I have been happy with it so far.

The blending/pureeing takes almost no time at all.  What takes the most time is cooking the food...if it needs to be cooked at all.  This week, I did butternut squash, which I did cook at 400 for 40 minutes.  But after that, I just scooped the insides out and blended.  I don't add much water during this process.  I add it right before I feed it to him.

What I was getting stumped on was the storage.  I would fill up the trays, and then have no more room to make more food in larger quantities.  Until yesterday, Lisamarie texted me a picture of what she did, and it was introduced again today during a babyfood making workshop I went to.  It was sort of a "duh" moment for me and now of course, it makes sense...and why didn't I think of that?
So after they are done freezing, just pop them out of the trays and into a ziploc bag!   Then the trays are open to freeze more.  Ah-ha!

We're only 3 weeks in, so I haven't started mixing flavors yet.  And so far, I haven't even been giving him food every night.  Sometimes, something will come up and I'll miss the window of opportunity before the witching hour(s) begin and the bedtime routine starts, whether I'm ready or not!  He eats such small amounts at this point, it's not like he skipped his dinner and is going to bed hungry!

Does it look like Will has missed a meal?

No comments:

Post a Comment