Monday, January 2, 2012

Sewing101

The adventure begins! Actually, it began the week before Christmas, when I decided that I couldn't stand to look at the erratically cut lace curtains in my kitchen anymore and I bought some fabric to sew some new curtains by hand. I guess I did a decent job, and the lines on the plaid helped. Remember, when it comes to me and crafting, keep your standards low.
Look at the snow!

Lo and behold, the very next week, I am gifted a sewing machine by my parents for Christmas! We took it out after Christmas to do a few stitches and the basic skills from when I was younger came back. But I decided before I get busy, I should take a class. So during my last day of Christmas vacation freedom, I went to Joann's for a Sewing101 class. Lucky me - I was the only one there! The instructor was great and told me that I had sewing machine intuition. Whatever that means. Our project was a pillow case, so she showed me around the store, explained the different types of fabrics, threads and needles. Ninety minutes later, here was the product!
The unfortunate part was that at the class, I used one of the store's sewing machines, so I didn't really learn how to use mine. But I came home with some fabric, and the hardest part is really threading the bobbin. Which, by the way, Billy did for me, with no instructions. Hmmm. After that, I was in business and finished two pillows for our windowsill bench!
And for any Alpha Phis reading this: yes, that is my crest sweatshirt. It shall never die.
I told the instructor today that I was not a perfectionist and I meant it. I only had white thread, when I probably should have used brown thread. But I went to work anyway, and you really can't tell. I like crafting, but I also like to get the job done.

So...not too bad for the first day on the job! I plan to go back for more classes. She said next, she'll teach me about zippers. Whoa - we're really making progess ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment