Thursday, March 3, 2011

I did Kelly's Korner last week, and I'm going to do it again today. I like it because it gives me something to write, and I want to keep this going as sort of a journal. I've being doing pretty well since November-ish at writing at least once a week. So today's SUYL (Show Us Your Life) is about family. My family is pretty small, so this shouldn't be too bad. I just have one brother, a mom, dad, dog, husband and no kids yet. Pretty managable.

First there is Mom & Dad. They both gew up in the Dirty Jerz and met in college. They were married in 1979 and 4 years later, I came along. My dad was a career Marine Corps officer and my mom was an elementary school teacher. They were wonderful parents, and I see more of that now than I did as a teenager. Obviously, I hated my 9pm cerfew at 17. We moved back and forth between NC & VA my whole life as my dad's duty stations changed, but they now live on the intracoastal in NC. We love visiting in the summers, and I think it will only get more fun as they have grandkids to play all day on the dock with like my brother and I did at my grandparents' house as kids. This picture was taken in Sonoma, CA last year. They travel a lot more now that I'm off the gravy train.


Next up is the broski. He got back from a 4 month tour in Kuwait yesterday. He is a C-17 pilot in the Air Force and just 15 months younger than I am. He graduated from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in 2006 and lives in Charleston, SC now. He is engaged and will be married in November. We're pretty close, but the thing I find most annoying is his new found love of the University of Alabama football team. So for that, I will post this picture of a monkey on his head in Spain.

Last, but certainly not least are the 2 guys I get to come home to every day. My husband and my favorite pup. Billy and I have been together almost 5 years, and married for almost 3. He was born in California, where his mom was stationed in the Navy, but grew up mostly in Virginia. We met at work in 2006 and had a long-distance relationship really until we were married. We worked on a cruise ship and after that, worked for a company that fixed things on ships, so he would be gone for months at a time. Even after we were married, he traveled a ton. Now, he is a stay-at-home dog dad....haha, sort of. While we don't always agree on things, it's a good thing he's around because when I start seeing doom and gloom, he sees rainbows and butterflies! Another bonus about Billy is that he has 3 younger sisters, so in terms of mood swings, I'm a cake walk! That cute guy next to him is Patton, our 1 1/2 year old silver lab. We had never heard of silver labradors until we found him, and everyone thinks he's a weimerarner.

2 comments:

  1. I actually laughed out loud at the part about your brother. Classic picture! That picture of your parents is great, too. My parents still talk about the time we all ate together at Parent's Weekend-they really enjoyed talking to them. They're really shy and don't talk a lot to people they don't know, but they really liked them. I need to do this one, but I'm being kinda lazy this morning....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean seriously, Bama?!? I told him the rules were that since his college didn't have a football team, that he had to cheer for a team in his home state, the state where he attended college(FL has many viable options) or for a school belonging to his next of kin. So many great choices and he jumps on the Roll Tide bandwagon. Disgusting.

    ReplyDelete