Thursday, February 24, 2011

I feel like George Costanza on Seinfield. Remember when he was eating all the shrimp and the guy at the meeting told him that the ocean called and they were running out of shrimp? He was dumbfounded and couldn't think of anything witty to day back. Days later, he finally thought of something to say! The jerk store called, and they're all out of you!!

Well that is how I felt today, and how I feel a lot. I am never as assertive as I want to be when I'm in the moment. I am caught off guard a lot and then dwell on what I should have said, or how I should have handled the situation. I had a very strange phone conversation with a student who was trying to schedule an appointment. I just didn't feel right about it, so I emailed the secretary to tell her that when she schedules him, to put him with the male advisor, because I felt uncomfortable. What does she do? Calls me to tell me that I am supposed to have an appointment with him at 2 and that I should have told her sooner. WHAT? I was just so taken aback, I didn't know what to say. I was bothered by this ALL DAY. I mean, who's in charge here? It's supposed to be me!

I just need to be more guarded and prepared for these situations. I know I look young and sweet, but I am also an educated professional. RAWR. What I should have done was told her that I simply did not feel comfortable speaking with him again and that I would like her to call him back to reschedule. It's not that hard, but I usually am just so mad when it happens, that is all I can think about. Tomorrow is FRIDAY, praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment