Friday, March 15, 2013

Mid Week Musings

I read last week that WV has the highest obesity rate in the country!  Yikes!  You can easily see why, when you drive down our main drag.  Restaurants are everywhere!  And the parking lots are always packed.  Billy went to college in WV and said that is just what West Virginians spend their money on: food.  In the article, it also said that the high rates of obesity are also linked to the exit of physical jobs(coal mining) from the area.  The good news is that the child obesity rate is no longer in the top 5.  Just swing by the local Wal-Mart to try to prove that statistic wrong though!  I am no health nut, but I do like to exercise and be outside.  The wonderful thing about this area is that there is SO MUCH to do outside.  There are a ton of parks, large and small, that it is a shame that more people don't use them.  I'm so excited for Will to be a little bit older, so he can start doing fun things with us too. Now, he's more of a spectator.
The day that article came across my news feed, so did an advertisement for the local Mother's Day 5k.  I have not run since December, 2011, right before I got pregnant.  A daunting task for sure, but I can't just not ever run again!  So I tried yesterday...a little chilly for a first go, but we forged through.  I tried him front facing in the stroller, which he did not enjoy!  Possibly because of the wind...or because he could not see me.  So after walking the first mile like that, we switched it up, added 30+ pounds to the stroller with the infant car seat, and began our run.  I did not hear a peep out of him, and made it about 1.25 miles in 15 minutes.  Gotta start somewhere!  While my legs are healing today, I'm looking forward to try #2 this weekend, and the weather will be mid-50s!

But ohhh more sleep regression.  But then some progression.  Last week, Will starting flailing his legs like Shamu the whale flapping her tail on his crib mattress.  In his sleep, his legs would go straight up, and then slam down!  It would wake him up, and then we would have to go through the process of getting him back to sleep.  Over and over!  At first I thought he might have RLS, but then asking other moms in Mom's Club, it appears that it is normal.  So over the next couple nights, I exercised his legs more, massaged them, and then swaddled him from the waist down.  A world of difference.  Whew!  Who knew that I would bring back the swaddle at 4.5 months?  Sleep really varies from night to night and if I have any advice for new or expecting moms, it would be to keep your standards low!  Every baby is different, and you just have to roll with the punches, and stock up on coffee.  I don't feel sleep deprived anymore, but my eyes will tell you a different story!

One last thing...loved this post I saw this morning: 42 Things That Change When You Have a Baby (Thanks, MG!)
My favorites are:
-You just plain love life more — everything comes together and becomes better because of one tiny person and your love for them.
-You look at your baby in the mirror instead of yourself.
-Your heart breaks much more easily
-You give parents with a screaming child an 'I-know-the-feeling' look instead of a 'Can't-they-shut-him-up?' one.

No comments:

Post a Comment