Tuesday, July 26, 2011

America - Land of the Free

Today I felt just a little embarrassed of our country's immigration policy. Normally, I'd be all for asking people to show me their documentation, but today was a little different. One of my former students, a young Colombian girl, asked me to write her a letter describing her academic career - and I gladly did - she was a double major and made the President's list. She was very bright and well spoken. I don't know what kind of visa she was here on - but it expired and she needed to have my letter notarized for the judge. So today we met at the campus bank so I could show my ID and I saw something huge on her ankle. It was a LiLo style ankle tracking bracelet! She said she has to wear it for 4 months and they come and check on her at her house once a week. Because she is doing everything legally and by the book - this is what she has to do! And to think about all those undocumented people running free down here. And trust me, in South Florida, there are A LOT and it is a huge problem - people driving without licences, insurances, etc. I just felt bad for this sweet girl who is going through all this to be allowed to stay here. But if that is what it takes...I guess an ankle bracelet is better than Colombia? Anyway, I was just so surprised - I had no idea this practice was going on! I'm very happy though, that I took time to help her out - it's those things that make the job worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment