Thursday, May 26, 2011

To Kill a Mockingbird

I tense up when I hear their squak! I hate them and they clearly hate me...and my dog now too! It all started when I was probably about 14 when we were living in North Carolina. One day, my brother our old dog, Major and I apparently walked a little too close to Mockingbird nest and after that, every time we went outside to go for a walk, this dang bird would swoop down and basically dive-bomb us! It got so bad that we started walking with helmets on! Partly for the humor of it all, but also to protect ourselves! Finally we got smart and took our B B gun. And that was the end of that.

But last year, it happened again! At work, I would have to take all kinds of detours to go in and out of my building because the bird had a target on me! The University of Florida did a study that proved these birds are smart enough to recognize individual humans. I even watched the video - it's true!

So it must be nesting season, because the park that we walk in every morning and evening has these dang birds and poor Patton has been attached twice! I know he's supposed to be a bird dog and all, but I don't blame him for running away! I was telling people at work today about it and they think I'm either paranoid or crazy. Obviously, they have never been a target of these aggressive aviaries! It is scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment