Wednesday, October 29, 2014

She's here!

Heidis due date of October 19th came and went. A few days later, we escaped Will  and Heidi sharing a birthday. The next morning though, I woke up at 2:30am to contractions 2-3mins apart. So I must have slept through a good bit of them! I woke Billy up and he was a bit panicked because the contractions were so close together, but we both managed a quick shower and made it to the hospital by 3:30.  My midwife arrived a bit later and broke my water.  I was so excited to already be at 7cm, but a few hours later, I had barely progressed.  I asked for something to take the edge off, and they gave me Nubian.  It made me so sleepy, but gave me a break from the intensity for about 30mins.  After it wore off, I decided I wanted the epidural, but it was too late and time to push. Ultimately it was what I wanted, but was so scared!!!  I think I only pushed for 10 minutes, but I don't want to ever forget that pain and think it was no big deal! I remember saying that I didn't want to do it anymore.  Billy and the midwife basically told me, "too bad!"

She came out screaming at 8:13 and with the cord wrapped around her ankle.  We couldn't believe she was more than 9lbs!  My mom and Will came to visit us about and hour later.  Will didn't care. And just wanted to eat crackers.  Ha!  But since then, Heidi has been such a great baby and Will has been adjusting.

Heidi rarely cries loudly(unless I give her a bath) and is a pretty good eater/sleeper.  She was back to her birth weight after 4 days and has given me close to 4 hour stretches of sleep at night.  I think having low expectations of a newborn, not having a pounding epidural headache and knowing a bit more about what I'm doing with nursing has made everything easier this time.  The only bump is Will's adjustment.  He wants to get in her swing, rock her a little too hard, and has spots of jealousy.  But, he's 2 and I don't think I can expect anything much different. Yesterday was my first day home alone with both of them all day and we survived.  The worst part was post-naps when they both had dirty diapers and we somehow got it in Heidi's hair.  Then of course, they were both hungry.  It was almost 80 degrees, so it was easy to play with Will in the backyard and keep Heidi inside where I could see her.  Today, I was able to get the three of us out of the house to take Will to school.  So far, so good!




No comments:

Post a Comment