Sunday, January 5, 2014

Baby It's Cold Outside

It's weeks like these that we really miss living in Florida.  It will be a high of SEVEN degrees on Tuesday.  I don't think Billy has ever felt that temperature, and I surely have not on the east coast.  I think I have when I worked for Alpha Phi traveling through Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Dakota.  His grandmother was saying that even though it's cold, it is nice to have seasons and something to look forward to.  Billy disagreed and said, "No, I would look forward to tomorrow, which will be another sunny day!"  Well said.  I won't be leaving the house on Tuesday!

Speaking of Alpha Phi, The Bachelor starts tonight and there is a contestant who had my job two years after I did working for our sorority.   Even though I haven't watched in a few years, I'll be tuning in.  Oddly, I have known, or recognized a lot of people on TV and Billy is always bewildered.  A couple weeks ago, we were flipping through the channels and a girl I knew from college was on WWF - as a wrestler!  A proud ECU alumni, indeed.  I have seen people I know on "Say Yes to That Dress" three times, "Property Virgins" twice, "Bar Rescue", "What Not to Wear", "Hotel Rescue", "Undercover Boss" and "FourWeddings"...just thinking off the top of my head.  Crazy, I know.
 This was such a fun weekend, despite the frigid temps and snow.  A friend and I took our kiddos to the local Winter Market where I spied a vendor selling alpaca wares.  I was so intrigued as she was telling me that she raises them, shears them in the spring, and then weaves these beautiful poncho capes.  Downside was they were $200.  A little rich for me.  But she did offer a tour of her farm for Moms Club in the spring.  I really can't imagine what Will would think of these animals.  But I got her card, and we're going!

After the Market, we took the kiddos to the mall play place.  Not a place I ever imagined myself frequenting, but it is a saving grace on cold days!  As long as it's not overrun with too many big kids, it's a good time!  There is another place in town, that is open for free play two mornings a week, and it's $5 an hour.  It has a foam pit, a ton of things to climb on, trampolines, a bounce house...totally worth five bucks to me.  And it means a good afternoon nap for Will.  I will pay for naps. ;)

Today was my first day volunteering in the church nursery.  I have been looking for something to do, to give back, but options with a one year old are pretty limited.  Last week the sermon was about making 2014 our break-out year, and then I saw the call for volunteers in the bulletin.  I know it's small potatoes, but it's something, a start, and more than I was doing before.  I had a great first day and Will stopped clinging to my leg when he realized I wasn't just dropping him off.  Ha!

Here's to hoping for smooth sailing through the arctic temps this week!  (Seriously, I think it will be colder than the North Pole.)

No comments:

Post a Comment