Sunday, December 1, 2013

Thanksgiving Recap

Whew-isn't cleaning up after guests a lot more consuming then cleaning before?  I haven't even started yet because I still have a guest!  My MIL got pretty sick on Saturday, and had to switch her ticket to Monday evening.  I haven't really had to cook because we have so many left-overs, and really, no one feels like eating big meals.  I'll take it!
My first Thanksgiving dinner was pretty successful.  Billy took care of cooking the bird, while I did the rest.  My most proud dish was the cranberries.  Simple, yes.  But I had not planned on making them until last minute, when I asked a lady in the store where the canned berries were.  She then shamed me into making them.  All it took was a bag of Ocean Spray cranberries, some boiling water and a cup of sugar.  Done and done!  Will was a fan, too!
It was so nice having Billy's parents here.  First of all, because Will became attached to my FIL, who I didn't even know was good with kids.  Seriously, I can't ever get this kid to sit next to me and be calm, but my father-in-law is like the baby whisperer.  Will would follow him around like the Pied Piper.  I did not mind one bit!  He slept pretty soundly when they were here, because he was so worn out!  They brought their little dog too, and Will loooved her.  The feeling was not mutual!  Ha!
They offered to stay home with Will on Friday night so Billy and I could go out.  Well, we all started drinking a few beers and we never left the house.  Missed opportunity!  I can't believe we did that, but we had fun sitting around the table with our Blue Moons anyway.

I did take the opportunity to have my photographer MIL take our Christmas card photo.  What a lash-up it is, trying to get a toddler and a 100lb dog to sit still for more than a 1/2 second.  There is not one picture where we are all looking in the same direction.  Also, not one picture of Will cracking a smile.  Thanks, little buddy!
So just for my record, here are some fun things Will is doing now:
Helps me empty the dishwasher by handing me the silverware
Gets me his socks and shoes
Puts his toys away in a bucket
Puts the cans back in the kitchen cabinet when I ask
Comes when called
Signs "more" but it mostly means "food"
Takes a one hour nap in the morning and afternoon, if we're home
Loves kiwi and cheese.  We still have to hide the shredded cheese bag.

For most of these things, I am shocked.  I didn't necessarily teach him to do these; he really just picked up on what we do daily, and my narration I guess.  The putting the toys away, I think he learned in Kindermusik.  After every task, the teacher sings a song and the kids all put the toys back in her container.  Next, I will teach him to vacuum!! ;)
Happy Cyber Monday!!




No comments:

Post a Comment