Sunday, November 24, 2013

Thanksgiving is coming to us, this year!  I have never hosted this holiday meal before, but I have to start somewhere.  The joys for being an adult.  (And yes, I get that I've been an adult for about a decade now).  My inlaws are flying in from California on Wednesday.  The closest major(ish) airport is about 90 minutes away, so thankfully, they decided to fly into our tiny regional airport about 10 minutes away.

My father-in-law is a vegetarian, so I need to be sure I have enough filling choices, besides the turkey.  People are really in it for the sides anyway, right?  Everything will be pretty traditional, but we went to Sam's Club on Sunday and they were out of turkeys!  Last year, when we waited last minute(the day of) to buy a turkey, Billy ended up bargaining with the poultry department on an organic bird.  So along with cleaning, and cooking, I also must locate a turkey for us this week.

Cleaning shouldn't be bad.  I think it's the cooking that could get tricky.  The goal is to have everything hot, still be hot when it's time to eat.  So with a not so large kitchen, and one oven, I'll have to think this one through.  That would probably be the only time, ever, that I would want a double oven.

And then four weeks later, it's Christmas?  Are they always this close together?  I've been keeping gift ideas for people on my phone, when I think of them.  As I was browsing a few weeks ago, I saw a few good deals, and then saw they were comparable to Amazon prices.  But with then shipping(because everyone is far!), it really jacks the price up.  For my FIL's birthday, it cost me $9 to send him a cup to California.  The conundrum is, that I often feel like the *click & send* option of online shopping for gifts is so impersonal.  I LIKE to send things in the mail...I just feel like it is more thoughtful, and shows the recipient that I made the effort to shop, wrap and send it rather than just a few clicks of the keyboard.  Know what I'm saying?

So cheers to a short week, and time with family and friends!  Look below and see that Will and Patton are becoming fast friends:

No comments:

Post a Comment