Monday, June 17, 2013

34 Weeks

Will is seriously obsessed with remote controls.  I don't know where it came from because we don't watch TV when he is around.  There is usually one on the bed, and he goes right for it, every time.  The other day, we were coaxing him over to us with his toys in the basement, and he just sat there.  We put the remote down in front of us, and he scooted right over.  They don't light up or anything...he's just fixated on the black and white maybe?  I know what he's getting for Christmas.
 He also throws a short fit when we take things away now.  Things like the remote!  We can distract him pretty easily with something else, but ohhh I will not have a tantrum throwing baby!

On Friday night, we took him to our city's volunteer firestation fundraiser.  It seems like the whole town was there, and they have been doing it for 72 years!  It was really neat to see how this small city comes together every year for this event.  It feels like it is probably what most cities were like 50 years ago.  We were with a friend, who grew up here and she commented on how Billy and I have embraced living here.  She said most transplants don't like it.  First of all, I think attitude is everything.  I really think I could move anywhere and find a way to see a positive light.  Secondly, we really do see the value in raising kids in a small place like this, where we feel safe, there are strong family values, and there is a lot to be involved with.  We're very happy here.
 While we were there, one of our neighbors was holding Will.  She's mid-40s and never had kids.  Later, her husband told Billy how she kept talking about how wonderful it was to hold Will.  It made me think about how special, and how fleeting the baby stage is.  It's only going to be a few more months and I know it will be over.  But sometimes, because it's right in our face, we forget that the baby stage is so short lived.  Even the other day, I was the only customer in a furniture store, and all of the sudden, I had every employee crowding around me, oogling Will, and telling me about how chunky their babies were, who are now grown up.  People love babies!!

One last anecdote...I was telling Billy about a "lady" from Moms Club who stopped by on Friday.  And he asked how old she was.  Mid-40s.  He noticed that I refer to women older than I am as "ladies" and women my age or younger as "girls".  I know there was a time, where I probably called everyone 25 and older a lady.  Will this perpetuate as I get older?  Women my age will be "girls" and those older than me, I will refer to as "ladies"?  Am I the only one that does this?


No comments:

Post a Comment