Thursday, April 26, 2012

Most Hated Baby Names

Yahoo posted the most hated baby names - I'm not sure how this list was formulated, but I enjoyed it and I mostly agree with it.  Especially because my brother told me that I better not name my baby Aiden, or anything that rhymed with it.  Done and done.  He was kind enough to offer up his name, though.  Such a giver, he is.  But Kaitlyn being a made up spelling?  I would not have thought that. 

Nevaeh ("heaven" spelled backward and one of the most divisive names around, according to Wattenberg)
Destiny (people dislike names that confer a virtue onto a child, Wattenberg said -- and many associated this name with exotic dancers)
Madison
Mackenzie
McKenna
Addison (an example of a masculine named turned feminine, which many people dislike, Wattenberg said)
Gertrude (people said this name is "ugly")
Kaitlyn (for its "made-up" spelling)
Makayla
Bertha (author's note: duh!)

Jayden
Brayden
Aiden
Kaden (these rhyming names struck many as overdone, Wattenberg reported)
Hunter (too much like a last name or "too violent")
Hayden
Bentley (people dislike brand-name names, Wattenberg found, calling them "trashy")
Tristan
Michael (too boring, according to some)
Jackson

Some names I would add to the list include Harper, Sophia, Olivia, Isabella - simply because they are so overly popular lately.  Billy and I have tabled the baby name conversation until we know the gender. He likes names that sound a little outlandish, while I prefer more traditional names.  Melissa made a good point about picturing it on a resume.  I know I internally judge resumes based on names, and I don't want anyone throwing my kid into the reject pile!


**On another note, I hope the Alpha Phis out there caught the interview with the Colorado sister who spilled yogurt on the president.  She kindly corrected Matt Lauer when he mispronounced our Phi.  

No comments:

Post a Comment